In November 2015, the Federal Government, led by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, signed the Paris Climate Change agreement, whereby Canada, amongst other countries,pledged to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to the extent that global temperature increases could be kept under two degrees.
You can check out this TED talk by Johan Rockstrom to get a clear understanding of the impending ecological crisis:
In this Globe and Mail article, the premier of Saskatchewan, Brad Wall, expressed concern that the provinces, members of the federation of Canada, have not been consulted.
Here is a Liberal MP speaking with the CBC about the need to ratify the Paris Agreement.
Using some of your new parliamentary literacy, answer the following question: Should Canada consult with the provinces before ratifying the Paris agreement and should Canada be doing more in terms of reducing emissions?
Answer using the comment section below or Twitter, Instagram, Vine, and/or other social media. Be sure to use the hashtag #cdnpoliDoNow. Be sure to use evidence from the sources provided and from your own research to support your claims.
For those keeping track of outcomes for your portfolio, here are some you may wish to address and provide evidence for:
- Give examples of ways in which government affects their daily lives. Examples: rights and freedoms, security, laws, education, health care, services…
- Describe Canadian parliamentary democracy. Include: constitutional monarchy, federalism, Governor General, Prime Minister, Cabinet, House of Commons, Senate.
- Describe the responsibilities and processes of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches of the federal government.
- Be sensitive to the impact of majority rule on minorities and marginalized groups.
- Evaluate Canadian perspectives regarding current global issues.
- Give examples of Canada’s participation within international organizations. Examples: United Nations, Commonwealth, la Francophonie, Olympics…
- Evaluate implications of living in a consumer-based economy.
- Develop a formula for domestic power consumption costs, and solve related problems.
- question and reflect on personal responses, predictions, and interpretations; apply personal viewpoints to diverse situations or circumstances
- acknowledge the value of others’ ideas and opinions in exploring and extending personal interpretations and viewpoints
- analyze and explain connections between previous experiences, prior knowledge, and a variety of texts [including books]
- obtain information and varied perspectives when inquiring or researching using a range of information sources [such as expository essays, books, radio and television transcripts, charts, tables, graphs, diagrams…]
- Discuss information, ideas, and/or electronic work using tools for electronic communication. (Examples: email, electronic whiteboards, web pages, threaded discussions, videoconferences, chats, instant messages, camera phones, wikis, blogs, podcasts, online whiteboards…)
Draw conclusions and make decisions based on research and various types of evidence.
Explain the importance of stewardship in the preservation of the Earth’s complex environment.
Respect the Earth as a complex environment in which humans have important responsibilities.
Describe sustainability issues related to natural resource extraction and consumption.